Pench Diversion Major Irrigation Project JI00945
|1||Irrigation Project Name||Pench Diversion Major Irrigation Project|
|2||Irrigation Project Name Alias|
|14||Work Started in 5 Year Plan||X-Plan|
|15||Completed in 5 Year Plan|
|16||Project Approval Status||Planning Commission|
|17||Year of Approval by Planning Commission||2006|
|18||Approved Cost (Rs. in cr)||583.4|
|19||Actual Cost (Rs. in cr)|
|20||Culturable Command Area (CCA) (th ha)||95.48|
|21||Ultimate Irrigation Potential (UIP) (th ha)||96.52|
|22||Potential Created (PC) (th ha)|
|23||Project Covered under ERM Scheme||No|
|24||Project Covered under CADA Scheme||No|
|25||Project Covered under AIBP Scheme||Yes|
|27||Project Covered under Tribal Sub-Plan||Yes|
|28||Project Covered under Drought Prone Area Programme (DPAP)||Yes|
Pench Diversion Project envisages construction of an earthen & concrete/ masonry dam across river Pench, a tributary of river Kanhan in Godavari basin near village Machagora in Chourai tehsil of Chhindwara district. The project is proposed to provide irrigation in net CCA of 70,918 ha, CCA is 95483 hectare with annual irrigation of 96,519 ha which also includes irrigation by ground water in Chhindwara & Seoni district of Madhya Pradesh. Besides, the project will provide 61.68 m.cu.m. water supply to the proposed 2 X 250 MW Pench Termal Power Project under MPSEB. The project will also provide 7.40 m.cu.m domestic water supply in the command of the project. The project components are as under:
- A 41m high & 5,979.14 m long earthen dam with 350.86 m long concrete/ masonry dam (including 173 m long spillway) with a maximum height of 25.92 m. The gross & live storage capacities are 577 MCM & 407 MCM respectively, the dead storage being 170 m.cu.m.
- Spillway to pass PMF of 14,995 cumec through 8 nos. radial crest gates of size 18.29 m X 12.19 m.
- 28.5 km long right bank canal system.
- 20.91 km long left bank canal. Seoni branch canal system & Bakhari branch canal systems off taking from 20.91 km of left bank canal.
The project has been taken up for execution in two phases i.e. Phase I & Phase II so as to get early benefits as detailed below:
- Phase-I: Earth dam in full length up to TBL. Overflow section up to crest level and non-overflow section up to TBL in full length of concrete/ masonry dam i.e. complete H/W without crest gates, whole of Right Bank Canal System and part of LBC from 0 to 7 km. IP proposed to be created under Phase I of the Canal System is 28,268 ha. EC of Phase I is Rs 342.00 crore.
- Phase-II: Erection of crest gates. Remaining LBC system beyond 7.00 km to 20.91 km, Seoni & Bakhari branch canals taking off from 20.91 km of LBMC with its distribution system. IP proposed to be created under Phase II of the Canal System is 68,251 ha. Phase II of the project is proposed to be taken up later on completion of Phase I project.
The Technical Advisory Committee of Planning Commission in its 85th meeting held on 22.02.2006 considered the project with an estimated cost of Rs 583.40 crore at 2005 price level acceptable. Planning Commission and accorded investment clearance to the project vide letter No. 2(195)/2001-WR dated 10.04.2006 for the aforesaid cost.
The project was taken up for construction in 2005-06. During FY 2007-08, Phase I of the project with IP of 28,268 ha was included under AIBP for completion by 2009-10. Phase II of the project was proposed to be taken up later on completion of Phase I project. At present the dam and canal network is under construction. Total expenditure on the project upto March 2012 is Rs 294.96 crore. So far no irrigation potentail is created.