Indira Sagar /Narmada Sagar Project Major Irrigation Project JI00836
|1||Irrigation Project Name||Indira Sagar (Unit II) Major Irrigation Project|
|2||Irrigation Project Name Alias|
|8||Districts Benefited||West Nimar,East Nimar,Barwani|
|14||Work Started in 5 Year Plan||VI-Plan|
|15||Completed in 5 Year Plan|
|16||Project Approval Status||Planning Commission|
|17||Year of Approval by Planning Commission||1989|
|18||Approved Cost (Rs. in cr)||541.38|
|19||Actual Cost (Rs. in cr)|
|20||Culturable Command Area (CCA) (th ha)||123|
|21||Ultimate Irrigation Potential (UIP) (th ha)||169|
|22||Potential Created (PC) (th ha)|
|23||Project Covered under ERM Scheme||No|
|24||Project Covered under CADA Scheme||No|
|25||Project Covered under AIBP Scheme||Yes|
|27||Project Covered under Tribal Sub-Plan||Yes|
|28||Project Covered under Drought Prone Area Programme (DPAP)||Yes|
|1||Indira Sagar (NHDC) Dam||Dam|
The Indira Sagar Project of Madhya Pradesh envisages construction of a storage reservoir of live storage capacity of 9750MCM to enable Hydropower generation (installed Capacity of 1000 MW), Annual Irrigation of 1.69Lakh Hectare in Khargone, Khandwa and Barwani and water supply of 74 MCM for industrial and domestic need of the region. The regulated discharge from the dam will enable Power generation at the Omkareshwar and Maheshwar projects in the downstream and irrigation from the Omkareshwar projectand will also provide supplies to the Sardar Sarovar Project as directed by the Narmada Water Disputes Tribunal.
The Indira Sagar Project envisages construction of the following main works :
- A 654 meter long and 91.4 meter. high (above deepest foundation level) concrete gravity dam across river Narmada near village Punasa, in Khandwa district with gross storage of 12200 MCM and a live storage of 9750 MCM corresponding to an FRLFull Reservoir Level of +262.13 meter.There will also be a small saddle dam on the right side of reservoir.
- Central spillway,495 meter long, to pass a design flood(SPF) of 83534 cumecs and PMF of 1.15Lakh cumecs through 20 numbers of radial crest gate of site 20x17 meter.
- A surface power house on the right bank to house 8 units of 125MW each, with conventional turbines.
- A left bank flow canal(lined)249 Km long with discharging capacity of 109.11cumes at head. This canal will take off from the left bank of the reservoir, about 10 km upstream of the dam by a 3.3km long approach channel and a 3.3km long tunnel of 7.8m dia (punasa tunnel)and command a net irrigable area of 0.99Lakh Hectare.
- A "Lift canal "(also lined) branching from the "flow canal" at R.D 92.10 KM on its left side with a capacity of 20.5cumecs. This canal will be 83km "long command area of 0.24Lakh hectare. in Khargone district. The gross lift involved is 38.62m.
The Unit-I Dam and Unit-III Powerhouse of the project has been taken over by a joint venture company of NHPC Ltd. and Govt. of MPMadhya Pradesh. This joint venture "Narmada Hydroelectric Development Corporation Ltd" (NHDC) has completed the Unit-I and Unit-III.
A canal head power house of 15 MW capacity is also commissioned which will be captive power plant for Punasa lift irrigation project. This project proposes to lift water directly from the ISP reservoir.
The dam and river bead power house is completed. Upto Februray 2012 an irrigation potential of 41727 hectare. Since 1996-97 the project is receiving central assistance loan under AIBP.
The original Project proposal of Indira Sagar Project(Multipurpose) was earlier considered the Advisory Committee of MoWR in the 42nd meeting held on 11.1.1989 and was accepted for Rs 1993.67 Crore (including the cost of Unit-II of Canal for Rs. 541.98 crore and Unit - III power house for Rs 619.37 crore).Planning Commission subsequently accorded investment clearance to the proposal in September 1989 for Rs 1993.67 Crore (including the cost of Unit-II of Canal for 541.98crore)(Price Level 1988) for CCA of 1.23 lakh ha.Latest estimated cost of Indira Sagar Project Unit-II (Canals) is Rs 3182.67 crore at 2009 price level as accepted in 99th meeting of Advisory Committee held on 24.08.2009. Investment Clearance of Planning Commission for this revised cost of unit II Canal of Rs 3182.77 crore (at price level 2009) is accorded vide letter No. 2(249)/ 2009-WR dated 14.06.2010.